Walt Disney World ® Resort
‘Celebrate HER Story’ at Disney Springs in Honor of Women’s History Month
‘Celebrate HER Story’ at Disney Springs in Honor of Women’s History Month
In honor of Women’s History Month, we’re celebrating the contributions of women throughout our history and celebrating some of the women who are pioneering our future. We’re keeping this celebration alive at Disney Springs and will be spotlighting the talented women who showcase their super powers as entrepreneurs, to the business-savvy role models and artists behind-the-scenes.
Starting today, we’re excited to share that “Celebrate HER Story at Disney Springs” puts the spotlight on those talented female cast members, artists, and business leaders making a positive impact at Disney Springs. From special treats created by women, talented female-led entertainment, and unique offerings, there’s something for everyone to enjoy this month!
Celebrate Women and Artistry: We’re celebrating women who have paved the way and are leading the next generation of artists including those who work in art and illustration to filmmaking and entertainment. Guests can be on the lookout and mark their calendars for these happenings:
- Our spotlight series at The Art of Disneyand WonderGround Gallery is returning with a focus on female filmmakers, artists, and directors who work or have worked at the Walt Disney Animation Studios including Mary Blair, Ruthie Tompson, Retta Scott (Worcester), Jennifer Lee, Josie Trinidad, and more. (This month’s spotlight series will be rotating all month long so be sure to follow @DisneySprings on social for updates!)
- Visiting artists will be popping up showcasing their talents and artwork all month-long including: Julia Gabrielov March 13-14, 20-21 at The Art of Disney, Meredith Young March 26-28 at Marketplace Co-Op, Paola Gracey March 26-28 at The Art of Disney and special appearances by Jasmine Beckett Griffith on select dates from March 11-31 at Marketplace Co-Op.
- On March 8, Guests can meet Fabiola Garza Villalobos, Character Artist from the Disney Creative Group. Fabiola is a published author and illustrator, creating the art for A Little Golden Book based on Disney & Pixar’s Coco as well as creating the pattern on the newest Dooney & Bourke collection featuring her favorite characters from “Robinhood.” Guests can stop by and meet Fabiola from 10 a.m-noon at Ever After Jewelry Co. & Accessories where she’ll be signing purchases.
- Guests can look for new entertainment acts at the AdventHealth Waterside Stage every Wednesday night from 5-9 p.m. as we highlight strong female vocalists and acts who are sharing their own inspiring stories or songs in honor of Women’s History Month including Just Imagin3 and the Skillzmatic Band “SMB”.
Delight Your Taste Buds: Many of our Guests love all the “Instagrammable” creations that come from Disney Springs and we’re pleased to give you a little peek behind the curtain of two of the powerhouse women who make the ideas come to life. Chef Yolanda Lazo Colon from Amorette’s Patisserie and Chef Amanda Lauder from The Ganachery both execute the creative development of our food & beverage offerings as well as manage the daily operation of their locations, all while leading a talented team of cast members.
During the month of March, both chefs have created their own unique offering inspired by Women’s History Month and what it means to them. At Amorette’s Patisserie, Chef Yoly has whipped up Chef Yoly’s Flancocho, a beautiful mix of her two favorite desserts (chocolate cake and flan) inspired by her Puerto Rican heritage. At The Ganachery, Guests can indulge their palate with Chef Amanda’s Chef Toque Bonbon — a sweet treat inspired by her childhood dream of becoming a pastry chef filled with Dark 65% chocolate, Morello cherry gel, and pistachio ganache. Chef Amanda is also bringing back the Guest-favorite Captain Marvel Chocolate Piñata filled with pecan toffee crunch pieces and decorated in the superhero’s iconic red, gold, and blue signature colors.
We’re also paying homage to our favorite mom and superhero Elastigirl, with the new Mrs. Incredible Float made with black cherry lemonade, strawberry and lemon DOLE Whip served with a Mrs. Incredible novelty straw at Marketplace Snacks.
At City Works Eatery & Pour House, the restaurant is spotlighting the “Her Hops Flight” featuring four female-owned/led breweries from the southeast including:
- Robonaut Red Ale – Playalinda Brewing Co., Titusville, FL (Co-Owners, Katie Raike & Donna Scott)
- You’re My Boy, Blue! – Brew Bus Brewing, Tampa, FL (Co-Founder and CFO, Toni Derby)
- Hakuna Matata – D9 Brewing Co., Cornelius, NC (Charlotte Regional Head Brewer, Carli Smith)
- Duke’s Cold Nose – Bold City Brewery, Jacksonville, FL (Co-Founder and Co-Owner, Susan Miller)
As part of our continued effort to support HER, in celebration of Women’s History Month, Sprinkles is partnering with the Step Up Organization and honoring women through history with their White Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakefilled with raspberry compote and topped with raspberry white chocolate frosting. (Available March 1-14.) Guests can be on the lookout for the “She is FIRECE” red velvet cupcake on March 8 in honor of International Women’s Day. Throughout 2021, Sprinkles will also be donating over $25K to various female empowerment organizations including Step Up.
Discover Female-Owned Businesses: Shopping for something special takes on a whole new meaning when Guests know the people behind each brand and there are several female-owned businesses at Disney Springs that we’re honored to highlight. While Guests are visiting with us this month, they can be on the lookout for these venues:
- Erin McKenna’s Bakery NYC (Baker and Owner, Erin McKenna)
- Rustic Cuff (Owner Jill Donovan)
- Sugarboo & Co. (Artist and Owner, Rebecca Puig)
- Vivoli il Gelato(Owner, Silvana Vivoli)
While Guests are shopping, don’t miss these retailers who are supporting women’s empowerment through special products and offerings:
- ALEX AND ANI– Guests can shop collections that inspire and feature empowered women including the “it’s a NEW DAY” collection celebrating women reaching their full potential through the pursuit of personal growth.
- House of Blues Gear Shop – The shop is putting the spotlight on the Halo Mission Jewelry Collection featuring jewelry pieces made from guitar strings and owned by women.
- L’Occitane en Provence– For over 40 years, L’Occitane has been in fair-trade partnership with women of West Africa who harvest the shea fruit in their products and in honor of Women’s History Month, 100% of profits from their Solidarity hand cream are donated to women’s leadership causes.
- Lovepop – More than half of the Lovepop workforce is made up of strong, passionate women, and they are proud to offer special cards and gifts designed by women for women. From moms to mentors to BFF’s and beyond, take the time to recognize and empower all of the amazing women in everyone’s life in celebration of Women’s History Month and International Women’s Day on March 8.
- Pele Soccer – Pele Soccer is proud to highlight and feature an extensive collection dedicated to the four-time Champion U.S. Women’s National Team with a variety of products in–store such as authentic jerseys, t-shirts, hats, and more.
- Ron Jon Surf Shop – Ron Jon is proud to spotlight two lines of product available in their stores including Central Florida-based brand, SS Designs (President & CEO, Cindy Zimmerman) who develops custom art for their trendy apparel and Natural Life (Founder & CEO Patti Hughes) a trendy line of irresistible treasures with a free-spirit style and a positive vibe.
- Vera Bradley – Minnie Mouse is one of our favorite fashion-forward trailblazers and she’s featured as the star on the new Minnie’s Garden Party and Minnie’s Garden Dots pattern releasing on March 11.
We look forward to seeing Guests soon at Disney Springs as we “Celebrate HER story.”
Published: March 1, 2021